Tuesday, March 29, 2011
My New Favorite All-purpose Cleaner/Sanitizer
I thought we would all start getting sick when I finally kicked the bleach bottle habit, but after switching I read that too much bleach can lower our immune systems, especially if it enters our bodies. Well, as much as I was using, it was certainly entering our bodies through respiration. It can also be absorbed into the body through the skin. We no longer drank or bathed in chlorinated water, as we had moved to the country and were living on water from a deep well, but by spraying it everywhere, I was overexposing my family to what are believed to be its toxic effects.
Some studies have shown not only a decrease in immune system strength, but a higher incidence of cancer related to daily chlorinated water use. It's pretty common knowledge that by trying to kill harmful microbials on the skin, we also destroy the beneficial ones, I wonder what it does internally to the beneficial bacteria that we need to survive.
Vinegar is a good sanitizer because, though it doesn't kill microbials as quickly as chlorine, if left on a surface, it creates a hostile environment for these microscopic critters. It's the high acid level in vinegar and other acidic natural products such as lemon juice that kills them. Like bleach, vinegar diluted with water is strong enough to clean and sanitize, but without the harsh smell and caustic nature. Another benefit is that I don't have to worry about someone leaning on a counter or sink that I've just sprayed with bleach and having their clothes ruined by coming into contact with it. I don't have to worry about my bottle of vinegar sitting on the counter too close to food products. I don't have to worry about my children using it either, which is nice now that they've reached the age when they can help clean their own bathroom.
Posted by Small Town Hoe'r at 2:34 AM