Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Mmmm! Min-tea Fresh!

I completely forgot to check while scouting around the little farm last week to see if the mint was coming up.  The mint is one of the first things we noticed about the property when we were looking to buy it.  It was growing like crazy around one of the patios and sidewalks in the backyard and between cracks in a rock wall.
 
It comes up very early and stays until the first deep freeze.  I dry it all through the season so I have plenty to get us through the winter.  It goes in all of my Greek cooking and we make tea with it.  The boys have asthma and menthol is great for their lungs both inhaled and ingested.

This morning I noticed it when I looked out the window.  Then my son came in from messing around in the farmyard and asked if he could pick some mint.  He brought in a whole basket full of long, green sprigs.

 
While he made himself a cup of hot tea, I made a gallon of black/green/mint iced tea. 


It reached 85 yesterday and after a mountain top hike we are all still feeling a bit dehydrated.  Nothing a tall glass (or jar in my case; love drinking from a quart-sized mason) of iced mint tea can't fix.

Recipes I use that call for mint:

Gyros, Pita, and Tzaziki Sauce

Mint Julep

Greek Beef Stew over Minted Orzo

2 comments:

  1. Oh I want some mint:) So how do you dry it and then store it for the whole year? I am thinking I can plant in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have hooks screwed into the molding in my kitchen. All season long, I take bunches of herbs, bundle them together with twist ties and hang them on the hooks and on my pot rack. I use twist ties because as they dry, the stems shrink and the tie needs to be tightened. As soon as they are crunchy and dry, I rub them off the stems and jar them. If they are leathery, they are not dry enough and they can mold. You can also use a dehydrator. If you grow mint or anything in the mint family, be prepared for it to spread and take over, so plant in a portion of your yard that won't be affected if it runs wild. Mint is said to keep rodents away. We love it because it grows in the cracks and edges of our patio and when we walk around the smell is released into the air.

    ReplyDelete