Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Recovery Shake #5 -- Orange Dream


I wanted this to taste like a Dreamsicle.  It didn't, but was good.  I used natural orange extract and vanilla, but I think what it really needed was some ice cream.  But, alas, that would defeat the purpose of making these shakes. 

After his long awaited medical appointment, my husband has learned that he is, in fact, still ill and must avoid fats.  No ice cream allowed around here much anymore.  His doctor wants to see if we can help him to feel better by limiting certain foods.  I'm just very glad to hear that his problems should be manageable even though the diagnosis contains the word "disease", which doesn't sound good at all.  He hasn't tried our recovery shakes, but at least I can give him something delicious, but healthy, when he needs a sweet treat or snack. 

My boys and I will keep working to come up with new ideas.  We are trying to find a way to work chocolate into one of our shakes.  If only there is a way.  I guess we could just buy those chocolate soy protein mixes...I happen to love Spiru-tein in every flavor. I may have to ditch the scratch idea and go for what I know and love when I run out of recovery shake ideas.

Orange Dream Recovery Shake

1 orange, seedless, peeled
2 tsp. turbinado sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. yogurt
1/4 c. skim milk
Drop of orange extract
1/4 tsp. vanilla



Makes 1 to 2 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy I am going to try it with Vanilla Soy milk. Since I cant have milk anymore.

    ReplyDelete