Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent, Dry Floor Cleaner, Carpet Deodorizer

I have used this recipe for over two years.  I still use Ivory soap, though it is rumored that the formula has changed.  It foams beautifully, so I suspect it has SLS as an ingredient.  I intend to switch to Dr. Bronner's Lavender solid castile to grate into it, but am using the Ivory to save money.

Ingredients:
2 bars Ivory, grated
1 box borax
1 lb. baking soda

Combine all ingredients.  I actually find it relaxing to sift my hands through it.  Don't know why, but that's why I mix it by hand.  Smells so nice.
 
Laundry Detergent:
I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup per load, but have seen others state that they only need 1/8th cup.  I wash in cold, generally.  I use hot water and add vinegar when doing whites.  I have no problem with my clothes getting clean. 
Dry Floor Cleaner:
It works really well to deodorize.  Just sprinkle it around the bathroom or any other high traffic area.  Leave it to sit for at least 30 minutes, then sweep it around vigorously.  Sweep it into a dust pan and all the dirt comes up with it.   I do this in the bathrooms between mopping. 
Carpet Deodorizer:
It also makes a great carpet deodorizer.  Sprinkle, brush in with a broom.  Let sit overnight and vaccuum the next morning.
I also soak the grater in the bowl I used to make the mixture until the soap dissolves off and use that water throughout the day as an all purpose cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment